10 Tips for Parents of Young Children.
1. Read aloud to your child every day: Let your child see and touch the book. Play with voices and the sounds of words.
2. Create a print rich home environment: Have a wide variety of books available to children. Encourage children to look at books on their own.
3. Model reading and writing: Let children see you reading for work, to learn something and for pleasure.
4. Use grocery shopping to encourage reading: Have children help you search for specific brands. Use the aisle markers with your child to find items.
5. Cook with your child to develop literacy: Show your child how to read a recipe. Read the labels on ingredients together.
6. Explore books together: As you read, point out important features about the book. Ask your child questions. Point out new vocabulary.
7. Tell stories together: Talk together about your family history, tell about your day, make up a story using your child’s name.
8. Sing and rhyme with your child: Choose songs with rhymes and word play. Play rhyming games with your child.
9. Write with your child: Provide lots of writing materials: chalk, markers, crayons, and pencils. Encourage your child to draw and write on her own. Help your child write thank you notes, make to-do lists and the like.
10. Visit the library often: Make weekly trips and encourage your child to get her own library card.